A cinematographic collaboration true to Cartier’s spirit and history of empowering women sees the historic Maison create a spectacular High Jewellery replica for the film Ocean’s 8.
What You Must Know:
Cartier is the motion picture’s exclusive jewellery partner.
- The parure for the film’s ultimate heist is the “Jeanne Toussaint” necklace, a tribute to Cartier’s style defining Creative Director in the 1930s who favoured and found inspiration in Indian splendour, opulence and regality. Toussaint was also the first woman to embody Cartier’s bold and fearless spirit.
- The Toussaint necklace is created in reference to a necklace originally designed for the Maharaja of Nawanagar by Jacques Cartier. That original necklace no longer exists, but the Toussaint necklace design is based on the Maison’s archive creation sketch and photographs of both the necklace and the owner.
- The necklace for the Maharaja was designed for a man. The Toussaint necklace was adjusted and reduced 15 to 20% in size to fit Anne Hathaway, who plays Daphne Kluger, the target of the con.
- This special order – the Toussaint necklace – was created at Cartier’s high jewellery workshops at rue la Paix in Paris by their best jewellers within 8 weeks and flown to New York.
- The Cartier Maison – a New York City Landmark – was also the location where major scenes were shot. To facilitate filming, the Mansion was closed and its Salons were transformed into cinema sets for two days. The exterior of the Mansion on 52nd Street is also featured in the film.
- The jewellery, watches and accessories worn on the Metropolitan Museum film set are all from the Cartier Collection or current New or High Jewellery collections.
- Ocean’s 8 opens in Theatres 14 June, 2018. The newest entry in the successful “Ocean’s” franchise, the film was directed and co-written by Gary Ross and stars Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett, Anne Hathaway, Mindy Kaling, Sarah Paulson, Awkwafina, with Rihanna and Helena Bonham Carter. Debbie Ocean (sister of Danny Ocean, played by Sandra Bullock) gathers a crew of women to pull off a seemingly impossible heist at New York City’s star-studded annual Met Gala. The target of the con is the Toussaint – a legendary Cartier diamond necklace, worn by actress Daphne Kluger (played by Anne Hathaway).
Photos by Barry Wetcher © 2018 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
Watch the Behind the Scenes, here.
All images courtesy of Cartier.