For Chanel’s Spring/Summer 2018 show at the Grand Palais, Karl Lagerfeld reproduced the Gorges du Verdon, a famous canyon with multiple waterfalls located in the south of France.
The backdrop was perfect for Lagerfeld’s Spring/Summer story, as he presented his vision of nature. Where aquatic tones of blues and whites were beautifully complemented by delicate pinks and luxuriant greens, complete with scintillating gold and silver accents reminiscent of the reflections of the sun and moon.
In the spirit of light and water, the silhouettes, materials, and details are juxtaposed in confidence. Liberal weave of lurex in the tweed are accentuated by rich embroidery of water-drop like crystals and pendants. Fringe details on the jackets and dresses add to the movement in the dance of nature. Show highlights here.
Silhouettes and details:
- Structured with fluidity: Wide shoulders on jackets and dresses, described by Karl Lagerfeld as “tumbling”, is softened with the select choice of materials as the garment falls.
- Soft but bold: Dresses and wide jackets in woven tweed have fringe extensions to reference the sway of tall aquatic plants while coat-dresses flow with shimmering lurex threads. Dresses in crushed, frayed lace or pleated silk heightens the collection’s call to softness. The dresses in waffled chiffon are embroidered with crystal pendants, while the dresses in ribbons and mesh have flounced sleeves that mimic the undulation of waves.
- Strict yet supple: Strict is contrasted with supple, as leather is paired with tweed on the bra tops and mini-skirts. The suit jacket is paired with cropped trousers in organic tones, with a geometrically stitched dress, or an iridescent short skirt trimmed with twisted braid.
- Short and long: XL blouses in white chiffon, knotted with a scout scarf, are worn with straight mini-skirts.
- Little wide-brim hats, capes, fingerless gloves, rainboots and thigh boots in transparent plastic.
- Water drop earrings accompany sautoirs and necklaces made of crystalline beads.
- Bags are worn in accumulation and are waterproof. Quilted shoppers in transparent PVC carry leather clutches while all bags have small rain capes.
- The season’s Gabrielle bag is in “needled” PVC and rubber.
- The Boy Chanel bag is in PVC and iridescent leather.
- Sporty bags are presented in a coated canvas printed with logo and camellias, while XXL shoppers are in gradated and embossed nylon.
- Small backpacks alternate PVC and patent leather.
- 11.12 bags are embellished with pastel-hued iridescent sequins.
- Crystal Plexiglas minaudières are also embroidered with reflecting sequins or entirely swathed in rhinestone.
Celebrities in attendance:
All images courtesy of Chanel