This Cruise 2017/18, Karl Lagerfeld brings us on an intriguing journey to a land of Greek antiquity codes and fashion mythology reimagined.
Key elements of the travelogue
- Fluid lines and draping, of tweed and jersey, silk and linen, lace and crepe.
- Wide, fluid sun-pleated trousers and jumpsuits in black, white and beige or terracotta and gold.
- Suit dresses and A-line jackets in woven tweed, illuminating an iconic suit with curvaceous, amphora-like hips.
- Fringed, unlined pale or ocher tweed is fashioned into ample crossover coats and zipped shepherdess dresses belted with a gold-ringed cord.
- Jersey or mousseline dresses worn under long tunics printed with crowns of golden leaves.
- Knitwear motifs echo reference designs on antique vases or the friezes of ancient frescoes.
- Simplicity of linen dresses is elevated with embroideries of multi-coloured stones.
- Greek sleeves with draped or gathered shoulders structure lines juxtaposed with marked or belted waists; marked waists are embroidered entirely in sequins that emulate marble.
- Dresses embroidered with spirals, a symbol of movement, life, and energy that lends balance to Spartan-inspired tops and skirts.
- Buttons engraved with owls, the mythological symbol of wisdom; or prints with laurel crowns, oak leaves with hidden camellias or laurel branches arched into elegant double-Cs. These symbols, along with the wheat stalks Gabrielle Chanel favoured, also embellish the coins adorning an elegant little evening bag.
- Column heeled gladiator shoes.
- Olympic laurel inspired head ornaments.
- Sautoirs, bracelets and golden cuffs worn on the arms and neck.
- Amphorae (ancient roman jug) re-invented as pleated leather backpacks.
- Minaudières and clutches are crafted in meticulously draped leather or bronzed exotic skins.
- The Gabrielle bag is presented in mixed fabrication: leather with knitted owl or antique vase motifs, or in marbled leather.
Celebrities in attendance:
To watch show highlights, click here.
To watch backstage video, click here.
All images courtesy of Chanel